Apple TV+ Reveals Matthew Shakman as Director of Godzilla and Titans Original Series
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Apple TV+ today revealed that Emmy Award-nominated director Matthew Shakman ("WandaVision," upcoming "Star Trek" film, "The Great") will direct the first two episodes and serve as executive producer on the upcoming Apple Original live-action Godzilla and Titans series, a Legendary Television production based on Legendary's Monsterverse franchise.
· Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the untitled Monsterverse series will explore one family's journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.
· The untitled Monsterverse series is produced for Apple TV+ by Legendary Television and executive produced by co-creators Chris Black ("Star Trek: Enterprise," "Outcast"), who serves as showrunner, and Matt Fraction ("Hawkeye"). The series is also executive produced by Safehouse Pictures' Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell. Executive producing for Toho Co. Ltd. are Hiro Matsuoka and Takemasa Arita. Toho is the owner of Godzilla and other classic characters and has licensed the rights to Legendary for this series as a natural byproduct of their long-term relationship on the film franchise.
· Legendary's Monsterverse is an expansive story universe of multi-layered experiences centering around humanity's battle to survive in a world that is under siege by a catastrophic new reality - the monsters of our myths and legends are real. Beginning in 2014 with "Godzilla" and continuing with 2017's "Kong: Skull Island," 2019's "Godzilla: King of the Monsters," and 2021's "Godzilla vs. Kong," Monsterverse films have accumulated close to two billion dollars globally at the box office and is ever expanding with the latest iteration being a new anime series, "Skull Island."
· Apple TV+ is home to award-winning Apple Originals from today's most imaginative storytellers. Apple TV+ offers premium, compelling drama and comedy series, feature films, groundbreaking documentaries, and kids and family entertainment, and is available to watch across all your favorite screens. After its launch on November 1, 2019, Apple TV+ became the first all-original streaming service to launch around the world and has premiered more original hits and received more award recognitions faster than any other streaming service. Apple Original films, documentaries and series have been honored with 231 wins and 950 awards nominations just over two years.
· Apple TV+ is available on the Apple TV app in over 100 countries and regions, on over 1 billion screens, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, popular smart TVs from Samsung, LG, Sony, VIZIO, TCL, and others, Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices, Chromecast with Google TV, PlayStation and Xbox gaming consoles, and at tv.apple.com, for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. For a limited time, customers who purchase and activate a new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, or iPod touch can enjoy three months of Apple TV+ for free.
Rep info: Shakman is repped by UTA, Artists First and Todd Rubenstein from Morris Yorn.
Shakman directed and executive produced Marvel's "WandaVision," starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany (Emmy nomination, Directing for a Limited Series, Emmy nomination for Best Limited Series; DGA nomination, Limited Series; AFI Best Television Program of 2021). He previously helmed the pilot "The Great," starring Nicholas Hoult and Elle Fanning, for which he received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series. His two episodes from season seven of "Game of Thrones," "The Spoils of War" (DGA nomination, Dramatic Series) and "Eastwatch," received some of the best reviews of the entire series. His work in television ranges from recent work on "Succession" to over a decade producing and directing "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Other credits include: "The Boys," "Mad Men," and the season one finale of "Fargo." He recently helmed and executive produced the pilot to "The Consultant" starring Christoph Waltz. He is currently directing and executive producing the pilot for "Untitled Chippendales Project" starring Kumail Nanjiani and developing "Star Trek." Matt also serves as the artistic director of the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles.
Source Apple TV+
May 20, 2022 9:58am ET by Apple TV+