Paramount+ Invites Fans to a Special Global "Star Trek Day" Celebration on Sept. 8
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Join Paramount+ and fans from around the world for a global live-streamed "Star Trek Day" celebration on Thursday, Sept. 8 (12:00 PM, PT/3:00 PM, ET*). Live from the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, Calif., "Star Trek Day" will feature back-to-back, in-person conversations with cast members from the "Star Trek" universe, along with exciting announcements and reveals throughout. The live-streamed celebration and additional information on "Star Trek Day" programming and initiatives can be found at StarTrek.com/Day.
On Sept. 8, 1966, "Star Trek" debuted for the first time on television with "The Man Trap," the pilot episode of "Star Trek: The Original Series." On that day, "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry introduced audiences to a world that championed diversity, inclusion, acceptance and hope. Fifty-six years later, Paramount+ honors this important day and the franchise's enduring legacy with the service's third annual "Star Trek Day" celebration, providing fans with a memorable way to enjoy and celebrate all things "Star Trek."
Additional information on the "Star Trek Day" global live-streamed celebration and initiatives is below:
"STAR TREK DAY" GLOBAL LIVE-STREAMED CELEBRATION (12:00 PM, PT/3:00 PM, ET*)
Join Paramount+ and co-hosts Tawny Newsome (STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, "Space Force") and Paul F. Tompkins (STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, "BoJack Horseman"), co-hosts of "Star Trek: The Pod Directive," for two hours of free live-streamed conversations and programming that will unite iconic cast members from the television series as they gather in person to celebrate "Star Trek," with a few surprises along the way.
The event will kick off live from the "Star Trek Day" red carpet with co-hosts Jackie Cox (RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE) and Mary Chieffo (STAR TREK: DISCOVERY) interviewing "Star Trek" cast members from past to present.
The conversations will include the casts from the following "Star Trek" television series:
• "STAR TREK: PICARD," with series stars Jeri Ryan and Michelle Hurd.
• "STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS," with voice cast members Tawny Newsome, Noël Wells and Dawnn Lewis.
• "STAR TREK: PRODIGY," with series voice cast including Brett Gray and Kate Mulgrew.
• "STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS," with series stars Rebecca Romijn, Jess Bush, Christina Chong, Celia Rose Gooding, Melissa Navia and Babs Olusanmokun.
Additional programming currently includes:
• NICHELLE NICHOLS TRIBUTE, featuring a special video to honor the impact and influence of Nichelle Nichols.
• BEHIND-THE-SCENES SET TOUR OF "STAR TREK: DISCOVERY," with Wilson Cruz from Toronto, as he provides fans with an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at filming season five of the hit original series, along with appearances from Sonequa Martin-Green and other cast members.
• "PUT ON YOUR BEST FACE," where a lucky fan will be transformed into a "Star Trek" alien by a series make-up artist.
• "STAR TREK" COSPLAY RUNWAY, hosted by Jackie Cox, fans will strut the runway in their finest "Star Trek" cosplay.
• SPECIAL MUSICAL GUEST, Reggie Watts from THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH JAMES CORDEN.
• STAND-UP COMEDY, with Brian Posehn ("Mr. Show," "The Big Bang Theory").
Fans worldwide will be able to live-stream the "Star Trek Day" celebration for free at StarTrek.com/Day and on YouTube (Paramount+ and Star Trek Official pages), Facebook (@StarTrek), Twitter (@StarTrekonPPlus) and TikTok (@ParamountPlus). It will also be available to stream for free in the U.S. only on Paramount+'s Twitch page.
After their initial airing, the conversation portions of the event will be available on-demand on Paramount+.
Full details on global live-stream and on-demand availability will be updated on StarTrek.com/Day.**
"STAR TREK" AUGMENTED REALITY DELTA PORTALS
"Star Trek Day" will also be celebrated with a one-of-a-kind opportunity for fans around the world with the debut of in-person "Star Trek" Augmented Reality Delta Portals. The Delta Portals will be set up for a limited time in select cities internationally, from Wednesday, Sept. 7 to Thursday, Sept 8. Each location will have three "Star Trek" Deltas, each seven feet tall and featuring QR codes that, when scanned on Instagram, transform the objects into mixed-reality portals that bring the user into the world of "Star Trek." Each augmented reality experience will be based on a current "Star Trek" series, featuring fully 3D alien planets, classic starships and iconic characters as they interact with both the virtual and physical worlds.
Locations are below:
• Los Angeles: The Grove
• New York: Hudson Yards
• Chicago: Water Tower Place
• London, United Kingdom: Science Museum
• São Paulo, Brazil: Shopping Cidade São Paulo (Note: Brazil dates are Thursday, Sept. 8 to Friday, Sept. 9)
• Melbourne, Australia: Federation Square
On "Star Trek Day," the #StarTrekUnitedGives campaign returns. For every person who tweets the hashtag StarTrekUnitedGives (#StarTrekUnitedGives) on Sept. 8, $1 will be donated and divided equally by Paramount to charities that support organizations who do the real-world work of championing diversity, equity and innovation, in honor of the late Nichelle Nichols.
SPECIAL "STAR TREK DAY" MERCHANDISE AND SALE
On Sept. 8, fans can use the code "STARTREKDAY" for 20% off sitewide at https://
August 19, 2022 9:00am ET by CBS