discovery+ and ID Highlights - Weeks of July 19 and July 26
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Discovery and Science Channel
discovery+ and ID HIGHLIGHTS
Weeks of July 19 and July 26
All dates are subject to change
discovery+, the newly launched global streaming service, brings together all of Discovery's brands and non-fiction content in one place to offer fans unlimited access to the largest collection of real-life entertainment in the world. Featuring a wide range of exclusive series across popular genres, discovery+ offers passion verticals for genre fans, from Animals to Paranormal, Food and Home. In the True Crime category alone, discovery+ contains an unprecedented 5,500 hours of the best mystery and suspense, boasting the largest library of true crime of any streaming service.
discovery+ TRUE CRIME PREMIERES
Limited Series Finale Begins Streaming on Monday, July 19
When 21-year-old Christina Whittaker disappeared in the small town of Hannibal, MO, a frantic search immediately ensued. Eight months later, filmmaker Christina Fontana met Whittaker's mother when filming a documentary about the families of missing persons. Little did Fontana know, this one case would lead her down a dark path full of conspiracies, betrayals, suicide and murder. Using more than 400 hours of footage from field investigations and video diaries filmed over 11 years, this documentary follows not only a complex search for a missing person, but the journey of a filmmaker who becomes dangerously ensnared by the story she's documenting.
· Complete Mindf*** Begins Streaming on Monday, July 19 Fontana attempts to process the shocking loss of her friend. While in Hannibal, she must confront rumors about Christina Whittaker's family that can no longer be swept aside. The most promising lead yet sends Fontana to one more dig, but will she uncover the truth about what really happened to Christina Whittaker?
Three Episodes Begin Streaming on Tuesday, July 27
Citizen P. I. is a new investigative series that examines the phenomenon of amateur sleuths who have played major roles in cracking real unsolved cases. This series showcases the colorful personalities of people who fall down the rabbit hole in their effort to solve serious crimes. When a case goes cold, justice might seem like it's out of reach. But sometimes, one brave citizen can make a difference.
· Malibu Sniper Begins Streaming on Tuesday, July 27 When a young father of two is found shot in in his tent on a camping trip in idyllic Malibu State Creek Park, resident citizen journalist Cece Woods uncovers a string of unreported shootings in the area leading up to the murder. In the months following the shootings, Cece pressures the LA Sheriff's Department to keep the public informed. When her request is ignored, Cece takes matters into her own hands to inform the public of the sniper who is on the loose in Malibu Canyon.
· Sleuths Under Fire Begins Streaming on Tuesday, July 27 In 2010, in St. Johns County, Florida, Sheriff Deputy Jeremy Banks makes an emotional 911 call. His co-workers respond and arrive at his home where his girlfriend lies dead. Jeremy says it was a suicide, but her family and friends disagree. Years later, an amateur investigator looking into the case winds up dead. Amateur investigators Javier Leiva and John Taylor make it their mission to uncover the truth about both deaths.
· Emails From Death Row Begins Streaming on Tuesday, July 27 In Pensacola, Florida, independent journalist Rick Outzen is drawn into a story that takes over his life. When a local couple is murdered in their home in front of their children, police will do whatever it takes to solve the horrific crime, including asking the media for help. Rick's investigative tactics coupled with his contacts provide invaluable insight into the killers and the shocking motive behind one of Florida's most notorious crimes.
THE HAPPY FACE KILLER: MIND OF A MONSTER
Special Begins Streaming on Monday, July 19
In 1995 when the body of a woman is found in Clark County, Washington, local detectives quickly apprehend long-haul truck driver Keith Jesperson. A series of increasingly disturbing revelations suggest Jesperson's true identity is that of the serial murderer known only by his nickname, the Happy Face Killer. Detective Rick Buckner plays a deadly game of cat and mouse with Jesperson to prove he is the Happy Face Killer and make sure he is apprehended before he kills again.
CONCURRENT discovery+ AND ID PREMIERES
New Episodes Stream on discovery+ on Thursdays and Premiere on ID Thursdays at 10/9c
Beloved former F.B.I. criminal profiler Candice DeLong explores some of history's most fascinating female killers in DEADLY WOMEN, touring the twisted minds of women who kill. Femme fatales, twisted sisters, desperate damsels: there's no shortage of these DEADLY WOMEN.
· Ice Cold Begins Streaming on Thursday, July 22; Premieres on ID Thursday, July 29 at 10/9c Lisa Jo Chamberlin and her boyfriend Roger left Kansas City in a hurry when authorities discovered they were operating a meth lab. They fled to Mississippi where Roger's cousin, Vernon lived with his girlfriend Linda. Vernon and Linda fell victim to Roger and Lisa's search for fast cash in order to flee to Mexico. Mary Farmer was living in squalor when she decided that to improve her own life, she would have to take from someone else. Mary killed her neighbor, Sarah, stole the deed to her house, and posed as Sarah to have it transferred to her own name. Carol Dawson and her son Scott lived on a large property that included a public path. After their neighbor, Gary Dean, strayed one too many times from the path on to their land on his morning jog, they began a vicious vendetta against him. When no action was taken, Carol and Scott took matters into their own hands.
· Killer Intellect Begins Streaming on Thursday, July 29; Premieres on ID Thursday, August 5 at 10/9c Pam and Gregg Smart fell in love while in college and were soon married and living the suburban life. While working at a high school, Pam began an affair with 15-year-old student Billy Flynn and convinced him and three of his friends to shoot her husband so she could avoid an expensive divorce and access Billy's life insurance. Cabaret singer Belva Gartner caught the eye of one of Chicago's richest men and most eligible bachelors and gave up the stage to marry him. But Belva didn't suit polite society, and soon took up with 29-year-old car salesman Walter Law. When Walter tired of Belva's partying lifestyle, she snapped. When Tyler Block-Patton met wealthy real estate developer Ed Patton, it seemed like the perfect partnership. They married and started a business together. But Tyler wasn't living the lifestyle she'd signed up for, and took her frustrations about their marriage out on Ed.
EVIL LIVES HERE
New Episodes Stream on discovery+ and Premiere on ID Sundays at 9/8c
EVIL LIVES HERE explores the true, heart-stopping stories of people who shared a home and a life with a loved one who would become a killer. With exclusive interviews and never-before-told accounts of the years and critical moments leading up to these vicious acts, the series showcases the devastating and often undiscussed consequences on the people who have nurtured, loved and raised a murderer
· Why Did I Let Him In? Begins Streaming on Sunday, August 1; Premieres on ID at 9/8c Teshana Singleton initially thinks her first boyfriend's interest in her is flattering, but when Cedric Ricks' obsession with her takes a turn, she begins to realize the danger she is in. Cedric thinks that Teshana belongs to him, and if he cannot have her, she will have to fight to survive.
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY PREMIERES
The programs below will premiere on Investigation Discovery as follows:
New Episodes Premiere Mondays at 10/9c
In a justice system that's not always so just, families can be tormented by the question of guilt or innocence of their convicted loved ones. REASONABLE DOUBT returns with all-new episodes profiling the gut-wrenching process of re-exploring murder cases where the perpetrators convicted of the crime maintain their innocence. Retired homicide detective Chris Anderson teams with criminal defense attorney Fatima Silva, to pore through evidence, interview witnesses and consult experts previously overlooked by police or barred by the court. At the end of each episode, the determined investigators evaluate their findings and either offer the convicted's family hope for an appeal, or clarity to accept the guilty verdict.
· My Best Friend's Murder Premieres Monday, July 19 at 10/9c Ken Andersen and Chad Swedberg have been best friends since they were toddlers. But after Chad was murdered, Ken took the fall. Ken's family says the conviction was a gross miscarriage of justice and have asked Chris and Fatima to investigate.
· Deadhead Premieres Monday, July 26 at 10/9c Bruce Walton is in prison, convicted of the fatal stabbing of his lifelong friend Roy Fuller. But Bruce's sisters are convinced he is innocent, and are hoping Chris and Fatima will join them in their fight to free Bruce.
The programs below previously aired on discovery+ and will premiere on Investigation Discovery as follows:
Series Premieres Wednesday, July 14 at 9/8c
Lt. Joe Kenda, one of the toughest, most experienced homicide detectives in ID history, is back exclusively on discovery+ with an all-new series. Over the years, Kenda has heard about cases that defy logic and expose the depravity of human nature: investigations so confounding that the twists and turns feel more scripted in Hollywood than reality. In AMERICAN DETECTIVE, Kenda trades in his own case files to bring viewers astounding investigations from across the country, with each episode putting a different homicide detective at the forefront whose tireless efforts helped put a killer behind bars and bring justice for the victim. Kenda guides us through the nuances of each case and the dogged detective work featured in AMERICAN DETECTIVE, the riveting raconteur whose gruff voice and deadpan delivery keep us hanging on his every word.
· Murder, Murder, Murder Premieres Wednesday, July 21 at 9/8c
· Hazard Lights Premieres Wednesday, July 28 at 9/8c
EVIL LIVES HERE: SHADOWS OF DEATH
New Episodes Premiere Wednesdays at 10/9c
Evil casts a shadow. That shadow spreads outward for years, even decades, after a crime. It consumes everyone in its path, pulling them into darkness. EVIL LIVES HERE: SHADOWS OF DEATH explores the endless reach of evil - a reach that extends long after the crime itself. This original series highlights the struggle to survive as innocent people find themselves caught in the wake of death and evil.
· The Monster Premieres Wednesday, July 21 at 10/9c
· Do No Harm Premieres Wednesday, July 28 at 10/9c
Like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/discoveryplus Follow us on Twitter @discoveryplus Visit us online at discoveryplus.com
July 12, 2021 8:00pm ET by Discovery and Science Channel