Superstar Miley Cyrus Teams Up with NBCUniversal
For Overall Deal Across Its Television and Streaming Entertainment Platforms
FIRST PROJECT 'STAND BY YOU' SET AS A PRIDE CONCERT SPECIAL EVENT FOR PEACOCK
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
· NBCUniversal Television and Streaming has entered into an overall talent and development agreement with superstar entertainer Miley Cyrus.
· The agreement includes a first look deal between NBCU Television and Streaming, Miley Cyrus' production company and Tish Cyrus's production company, Hopetown Entertainment.
· This comprehensive partnership will encompass potential projects across scripted and unscripted content throughout NBCU's Television and Streaming Entertainment portfolio, which includes NBC, Bravo, E!, Oxygen, SYFY, Universal Kids, USA and Peacock. Within this ecosystem, Cyrus will have the opportunity to leverage her talents as producer, performer and host across network, cable, streaming and syndication programming.
· The agreement includes a commitment of three specials for Cyrus across the portfolio, the first of which will be "Stand By You" a Pride Concert Special, exclusively for Peacock. The one-hour special, filmed in Nashville, will feature Cyrus singing an array of her hits and putting her creative spin on beloved classics, all in the spirit of PRIDE.
· "Miley is the true definition of a multi-hyphenate superstar and her Pride special, 'Stand By You' for Peacock is the perfect way to kick off this incredible partnership," said Susan Rovner, Chairman, Entertainment Content, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. "The creative possibilities for Miley across our portfolio are literally endless and we can't wait to collaborate on amazing projects across genres with her, Tish Cyrus's Hopetown Entertainment and Adam Leber for Rebel."
· Said Cyrus: "I have had an incredible long-lasting relationship with NBC for years! Many memorable moments in my career have been shared and supported by NBCU! This feels like a natural progression and I am looking forward to creating content that we love and hope everyone who watches does too! We're starting this journey together with a Pride special on Peacock to celebrate a month we both want to highlight with this concert event!"
About Miley Cyrus
Miley Cyrus is one of the most influential artists in pop culture with about 130 million Instagram followers. She has six #1 albums including her 2013 GRAMMY-nominated album Bangerz, which is also certified 3x platinum in the U.S. In addition, she has had an impressive five sold-out world tours throughout her career. In 2015 she released her free, 23-track surprise experimental album, Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz, co-produced by Wayne Coyne and other Flaming Lips members. Her sixth album, Younger Now, which was released in 2017, exceeded 2.2 billion streams worldwide.
In June of 2019 she starred in an episode of Netflix Black Mirror titled "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too." The standout role had Cyrus playing popstar Ashley O and featured the track "On A Roll," which earned 159 million streams, topping the TV Songs chart. Cyrus joins a short list of singers who have charted under three separate names, but is especially rare as she has had two of these chart positions with acting roles. Last September Cyrus released, "Slide Away," which currently has over 433 million streams worldwide, with the accompanying video exceeding 46 million views to date. Cyrus also collaborated with Ariana Grande and Lana Del Rey on the soundtrack for the 2019 reboot of Charlie's Angels with the song "Don't Call me Angel."
This summer, Miley released her first single, "Midnight Sky," from her seventh studio album Plastic Hearts. The song went #1 on iTunes in 41 countries, and the self-directed video has amassed 138 million views leaving fans to witness Miley as the ever-evolving artist that she is. The second single released from the album, "Prisoner," had massive fan reactions and features Dua Lipa on the track and in the video. Miley also teamed up with Stevie Nicks for the "Edge of Midnight (Midnight Sky Remix)."
Additionally, this summer she released critically acclaimed live covers of Blondie's "Heart of Glass" and The Cranberries' "Zombie," which are being referred to as the dawn of Miley Cyrus' best era, with her voice being hailed as perfectly suited for Rock & Roll. These raw and raucous renditions of classic hits that Miley has made her own were a taste of what was to come with her seventh studio album.
In November 2020, Miley dropped her highly anticipated seventh studio album, Plastic Hearts. The critically acclaimed album debuted at #1 on Billboard's Top Rock Albums chart, and sixth #1 album. The album, which features collaborations with Billy Idol, Joan Jett and Dua Lipa, gives Miley the most top 10 album debuts on the chart for female artists this century. Tracks on Plastic Hearts have been streamed cumulatively over 1 billion times worldwide. Miley has then gone on to release a remix of The Kid Laroi's "Without You," which debuted at #1 on Billboard's Rock Chart, #8 on the Hot 100, is currently top 5 US pop radio, and was a #1 ARIA debut single in Australia.
At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Miley launched Instagram Live talk show "Bright Minded" to keep her fans' and followers spirits up, while encouraging them to practice social distancing. She welcomed various special guests such as Alicia Keys, Reese Witherspoon, Elton John, Senator Elizabeth Warren and many more. In addition to her success in music, performing and touring around the world and over a decade of experience in television, Cyrus founded the non-profit organization The Happy Hippie Foundation to rally young people to fight injustice. Since launching, the foundation has provided direct support to thousands of homeless and LGBTQ youth across the country. Cyrus also helped launch the Malibu Foundation to support the community of Malibu and its neighbors as they work to rebuild after the Woolsey Fire. Continuing her advocacy and activism, Miley spoke with Vice President Kamala Harris in front of thousands of fans on Instagram Live to discuss the Biden/Harris campaign and how important it was to have everyone's voice heard in the 2020 Presidential election.
May 17, 2021 11:00am ET by NBCUniversal