Netflix Announces New Period Soap Drama Series, "The Decameron"
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
From Creator/Showrunner Kathleen Jordan And Executive Producer Jenji Kohan
• Netflix today announced a series order for The Decameron under Jenji Kohan's overall deal. The soapy period drama aims to examine the timely themes of class systems, power struggles and survival in a time of pandemic with a touch of levity, brought together by a charming and riotous ensemble of characters.
• Logline: In 1348, the Black Death strikes hard in the city of Florence. A handful of nobles are invited to retreat with their servants to a grand villa in the Italian countryside and wait out the pestilence with a lavish holiday. But as social rules wear thin, what starts as a wine-soaked sex romp in the hills of Tuscany descends into an all out scramble for survival.
• Format / Episodes: Drama; 8 episodes
• Creator / Showrunner / Executive Producer: Kathleen Jordan (Teenage Bounty Hunters, American Princess)
• Executive Producers: Jenji Kohan (Glow, Teenage Bounty Hunters, Orange is the New Black), Blake McCormick and Tara Herrmann for Tilted Productions.
• Director/Executive Producer: Mike Uppendahl (Ratched, American Crime Story)
• Jenji Kohan: "Kathleen Jordan is the real freakin' deal. I am so excited and grateful that I get to work with her and we get to make this awesome, funny, timely, weird show together for Netflix."
• Kathleen Jordan: "I'm absolutely thrilled that I get to work with Jenji, Tara, Blake, and Netflix again. I can't wait for people to meet this ridiculous group of characters. I'm sure Giovanni Boccaccio would be... confused?"
Source Netflix, Inc.
August 18, 2022 4:00am ET by Netflix, Inc.