Netflix Boards ‘Dark Wire’; Jason Bateman to Direct Feature Adaptation
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
• Netflix has landed the feature rights for Joseph Cox's upcoming book Dark Wire.
• Jason Bateman (Ozark) is set to direct. Matthew Orton (Operation Finale) is writing the screenplay.
• Producers: Shawn Levy, Dan Cohen, and Dan Levine for 21 Laps and Jason Bateman, Michael Costigan for Aggregate Films
• Executive Producer: Tracey Nyberg
• Dark Wire covers the unbelievable true story of how the FBI launched a fake telecom company and became the number one phone service provider to the world’s most notorious gangs, culminating in the arrest of more than a thousand international criminals.
• Netflix has creative partnerships with 21 Laps and Aggregate.
21 Laps Entertainment is a film and television production company founded in 2005 by director-producer Shawn Levy, producing content in multiple genres and collaborating with some of the most distinguished filmmakers in the industry. 21 Laps’ recent projects include the Levy directed film The Adam Project, the fifth Most Popular film on Netflix, and Free Guy, the top grossing original IP/original concept film of 2021. The company is currently in production on the limited-series adaptation of the Pulitzer-winning Bestseller All the Light We Cannot See for Netflix, which Levy is directing. Upcoming projects at Netflix include the final season of Stranger Things which follows a record-breaking fourth season that ranks #1 on the Netflix Most Popular TV list (English), the third season of Unsolved Mysteries, and the second season of Shadow and Bone. Additionally, Rosaline for Hulu is in post-production along with The Boogeyman (based on Stephen King’s iconic story) for 20th Century Studios. A sequel to Free Guy and Deadpool 3 are also in the works with Levy directing both.
Aggregate is a production company founded by Jason Bateman and partner Michael Costigan which creates film, television, documentary, and unscripted programming across all platforms. The company most recently released the fifth season of Ozark for Netflix; “Under the Banner of Heaven” for FX, A Teacher, starring Kate Mara and Nick Robinson; and The Outsider on HBO, starring Ben Mendelson and Cynthia Erivo. Other upcoming projects include the Netflix romantic comedy Your Place or Mine, from writer-director Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada), which will star Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher; The Gia Coppola documentary entitled superfans: screaming. crying. throwing up., and the Apple TV+ limited series Lessons in Chemistry, starring Brie Larson, from Unbelievable’s Susannah Grant. As an actor, Bateman just wrapped production as an actor on the Untitled Nike film directed by Ben Affleck and will next star with Taron Egerton in the film Carry-On, a thriller for Netflix and Amblin. Bateman is an Emmy winning director on behalf of Ozark.
Source Netflix, Inc.
September 30, 2022 12:00am ET by Pressparty