Sunday, April 23, 2017 5:30am ET by Pressparty
Plans for a tribute concert for the late George Michael still to be approved
Plans for a George Michael tribute concert are still uncertain as his family haven't approved them yet.
The late singer's friend, Dame Esther Rantzen, had hoped to organise a musical performance in honour of the 'Careless Whisper' hitmaker, who was found dead on Christmas Day (December 25) last year. The show will aim to raise money for charity, and Rantzen is set to meet with his loved ones later this week in order to ask for it to go-ahead.
Rantzen - who founded Childline, a charity George previously gave £2 million to from royalties from his single 'Jesus To A Child' - hopes to stage the concert at London's Royal Albert Hall this year in October. She previously said:
"It is still on the cards and we are still hoping it will happen, but we haven't approached his family yet - we don't want to be insensitive and we have been waiting for the right time.
"He was so extraordinary in his generosity to Childline - he absolutely got our vision - and we would love to be able to pay tribute to him in our 30th year.
"It would be a tremendous way of fundraising in his memory."
A spokesperson for George confirmed that they have been approached about a possible tribute but insisted nothing has yet been given the go-ahead. They said:
"We have been approached but nothing's been decided."
Latest 10 George Michael News Stories