The spirit of Christmas giving: 8 in 10 Brits set to show kindness this festive season
Through generous time, money and gift donations
[Press Release Originally Published Dec. 5, 2022]
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
NEWS PROVIDED BY
• A Nation of Givers: A heart-warming 86% of Brits will be giving back to others this holiday season, with nearly a quarter (24%) doing so through acts of kindness and good deeds
• A Christmas Wish: Over a third (36%) believe that charitable gestures and donations are more important than ever come Christmas
• Generous Data Giveaway: 72% of the nation would be willing to donate to a charity with their mobile data
• The Gift of Data: Continuing its partnership from last year, Sky Mobile customers can once again donate their spare data to support the NSPCC this December
New research from Sky Mobile has revealed how in spite of purse strings being tighter this year, over 86% of Brits still want to give back to others this Christmas, and nearly a quarter (24%) are planning to help through acts of kindness and good deeds.
As the season for giving, nearly half (48%) are planning to be more charitable this year than before, and a third (35%) will give back with monetary donations. Over 1 in 4 (27%) are also looking to other means to spread cheer; from buying charity Christmas cards (28%) to donating their loved but unwanted items such as clothes and toys (26%) to charities.
To help people find alternative ways to do charitable gestures this holiday, Sky Mobile has partnered with the NSPCC, so from today, customers can support the charity by exchanging 30GB of their spare data to help fund NSPCC services such as Childline.
Sky Mobile is hoping to reach 210,000GB through customers’ spare data donations which Sky Mobile will turn into a £70,000 donation to the NSPCC – the equivalent to the cost of funding Childline for two days.
MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL
Truly a nation spreading good cheer, over 4 in 5 (92%) believe it’s important to give back, with the caring, Christmas spirit driving December to be one of the most popular months, year on year, to generously donate (86%).
With Brits typically donating their time or money, and even doing acts of kindness 4 times a year, it seems the public are spurred on by their belief that everyone in society should support those less fortunate (47%), alongside feeling it’s important to spread positivity (41%).
And with many looking to make savings where possible this year, it’s been revealed over two thirds (68%) would be willing to donate more to charities if they knew there were alternative options, such as swapping their mobile data for a donation (72%).
‘TIS THE SEASON FOR GIVING
Following the success of last year’s donation drive with the NSPCC, which saw customers donate in their thousands, Sky Mobile is once again partnering with the leading children’s charity to help fund projects like Childline over the festive period.
Customers can simply donate their spare data through the online donation page and have until the 12th December, or until the £70,000 target has been reached to do so.
Paul Sweeney, Managing Director of Sky Mobile said: “The gift of giving has never been more important than it is today, so once again we’re giving our Sky Mobile customers the option to donate their data to help fund vital services like Childline this December.’’
Kirsty Lawson, Associate Head of Corporate Partnerships at NSPCC said: “As the Christmas school holidays are fast approaching, we are gearing up to keep our 13 Childline bases open 24/7 over the festive period. December and January are common months for children to confide in Childline about abuse for the first time, so it is vital the service is there whenever a child chooses to disclose. Thanks to Sky Mobile and their customers’ generous donations to help fund our services like Childline, our counsellors will be ready to answer and listen to anyone’s call this holiday season.”
The top 10 charitable donations the UK will do this holiday season:
Note to editors:
Research conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Sky Mobile. Total sample size of 2,000 UK adults agreed 18 and over.
Survey conducted online between 16th and 18th November 2022.
*Every 30GB exchanged could help fund Childline for 25 seconds. On average a child contacts Childline every 25 seconds.
*Sky Mobile’s donation could help fund Childline, or it could help fund the NSPCC’s other direct services or the NSPCC Helpline. Whenever and wherever the donation is needed most, that’s where it will go.
Sky Mobile benefits at a glance:
• Roll - Every month your spare data rolls into your Sky Piggybank ready for you to use later or even share with your family.
• Watch - Stream Sky apps like Sky News, Sky Sports, Sky Go and more without using your data.
• Text to Switch - Simply text PAC to 65075 to get your switching code. We’ll take care of the rest.
• Swap - Swap to a shiny new phone anytime you like and save money when you swap your old one.
• Mix - Change your plan whenever you like to suit your needs.
December 22, 2022 7:00am ET by SKY