Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:06am ET by Newsdesk
David Bowie, Prince and Nirvana songs added to Grammy Hall of Fame
A host of songs by artists such as David Bowie and Prince have been placed into the Grammy Hall of Fame, with 25 tracks in total getting added.
Tunes by other acts such as Nirvana, Elvis Presley, NWA, Deep Purple, Rod Stewart and Lesley Gore all feature in the latest round of additions. The Recording Academy president and CEO Neil Portnow commented:
"The Grammy Hall of Fame represents all genres of music, acknowledging the diversity of musical expression for which The Academy has become renowned. Memorable and inspiring, these recordings are proudly added to our growing catalogue and are an integral part of our musical, social and cultural history."
Check out the full list of the new additions below:
- Arlo Guthrie – "The City of New Orleans"
- The Beach Boys – "I Get Around"
- Billie Holiday – Lady Sings the Blues
- Blind Willie McTell – "Statesboro Blues"
- Bonnie Raitt – "I Can't Make You Love Me"
- Cab Calloway and His Orchestra – "(Hep-Hep!) The Jumpin' Jive"
- David Bowie – "Changes"
- Deep Purple – "Smoke on the Water"
- Dion – "The Wanderer"
- Elvis Presley – "Jailhouse Rock"
- The Everly Brothers – "Wake Up Little Susie"
- The Jackson 5 – "ABC"
- Lalo Schifrin – "Mission: Impossible"
- Lesley Gore – "You Don't Own Me"
- Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra – "When the Saints Go Marching In"
- Merle Haggard – Okie From Muskogee
- Mills Brothers – "You Always Hurt the One You Love"
- Mississippi John Hurt – "Stack O'Lee Blues"
- N.W.A – Straight Outta Compton
- Nirvana – "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
- Prince – Sign 'O' the Times
- R.E.M. – "Losing My Religion"
- Rod Stewart – "Maggie May"
- Sly & The Family Stone – "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"
- Sonny & Cher – "I Got You Babe"
Follow us: @Pressparty on Twitter / Pressparty on Facebook.
Listen to some of the songs below: